Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine.

I guess it's a little anti-climactic writing this a day after-the-fact, but who cares, right?

With yesterday being...February 14th (haha, see what I did there?), I figured I would write about my valentine. I promise I will try to hold as much of the 'cheese factor' I can and try not to make you vomit.


May 2010

May 2010

May 2010
First off, this guy that I'm in love with is pretty great. There's been so many times where I roll my eyes at people who say that they're 'in love with their best friend,' but I guess in a sort of tongue in cheek way, I can say now that it really is true. He's the first one I want to tell something exciting or new or sad to. He knows how to deal with me at my most difficult and understands all my weird little quirks. He can read me like no other and understand all my subtle little attitudes and things. And believe you me, when some guy you've only known about two months tells you he's going to steal a plane just to come see you, your eighteen year old high school heart is smitten. (Still waiting, sir). 

It really is near impossible to believe that this big and important party of ours will be happening in almost three months. I find it funny to look back at old pictures and see where we used to be, how we used to act or look. All our silly pictures. All the places we've been together and all the things we've been through. I love reading over old conversations we have saved or old letters that get shoved in dresser drawers.

Where did the time go!? 

I remember our very first Valentine's. 

We weren't officially 'anything' yet, but he had me. My eighteen year old heart took a little bit to fall for his at first. He swears he fell first and quickly. We talked for hours that night. Late into the morning. About everything and anything and nothing. We giggled and shared secrets and asked questions. I've never known how easy it was to talk to someone for hours. And I do mean hours. That night is special in our hearts and in our relationship. That was our turning point. That night I finally realized what was happening, how I really felt about him. Four days later, we officially titled it. Even though we had absolutely no idea when we would see each other face to face again. Even though we had no idea what it meant or what it would turn into. Falling for this stranger boy I hardly knew but knew everything about was such a God-thing. There is absolutely no way to explain it other than that. February 14, 2010, I didn't know what would happen four years later. I didn't know that he'd get down on one knee at our favorite park and ask me to marry him, that we'd go through four plus years of distance together and so very apart. That we'd cry and laugh and wonder how the heck we would make it through four more months apart with 1500 miles and a time zone between us. I had no idea that we'd tackle a deployment and miscommunications, reunions and countless goodbyes and hellos. But we did it. Somehow. We're doing it.

First deployment; November 2011

First deployment win; December 2011

Second deployment; November 2012


August 2013

And in one hundred and five days we can finally say that we made it. We win.

I have no doubt in my mind that we will.

Sometimes it's nice to see where we began though. How it all started. How much of a blessing and surprise and unexpected person he was in my life; we were in each others.

It's funny how things happen, hmmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment